Thursday, September 23, 2010

New Experiment with MacBook

This is something not very common which you might get into: Learn to install Windows on a MacBook. Frankly I've no idea how to do it as I've never done this. I guess it is a great opportunity & right timing to explore new knowledge :)
 
MacBook (picture obrained from bindapple.com)

What I've done is do some homework (which is search the internet). Well, as usual, the lead is rather blur as there are many different approaches suggested online. But I've learned 1 crucial key factor: You'll need something call BootCamp which is a CD/DVD provided during the purchase of the MacBook. So far what I was informed from the web it is very difficult to locate the download source for this material, prepare for a shocking price if you ever consider to buy it......

Luckily after the inspection, it seems the issue is caused by a malfunction HD (quite usual for a 4 years old machine). All the while the machine can boot XP directly (settings at BIOS is done previously), thus what I need to do is replace the HD, re-install the Windows & recover the drivers for all the built-in devices (eg. webcam, soundcard, VGA, USB ports...)

However it seems the BootCamp I obtained from several sources (even the ones downloaded from Apple) are not working when I reach the state to install the drivers. Seems like this is a very tricky problem...... At last the user managed to provide the correct CD for the Boot Camp. During the process, I noticed 2 things:

1. The DVD ROM of MacBook is quite choosy. Why? Coz it might run the disc inserted in selective manner...... (sometimes it might get you to think could it be the disc spoiled?)

2. Driver installation for MacBook running Windows is rather simple. All you need to do is install BootCamp & let it do the magic while you can go find something to eat & drink......

Conclusion, although the process doesn't go smooth as I thought, it is still a fruitful session as I've learned something new. BTW, nice job to Apple for creating such convenient stuff like BootCamp :) (thumbs up if they can make it accessible in more common manner)

No comments:

Post a Comment