Thursday, March 4, 2010

3 Cases

 

It has been quite busy weeks since Chinese New Year where I am glad to be in more business tasks. However I also experienced couple of odd IT cases. I hereby finalized in 3:

1. A notebook was handed to me before CNY where client complained the system tend to hang quite frequent if left unattended. Since client has nothing important to backup, thus I proceed to recover it to its default factory condition & tested it for few hours. The result seems fine so I passed it back to the client. However not for long the client mentioned the same problem occur. This time I observed the incident myself where Vista hang just after 20 minutes...... Hmm, where could be wrong? The best conclusion I managed to find (and agreed by client) is that probably the notebook used to reside in the room with 1 house use stand fan thus the heat generated by the Duo Core system can't dispersed properly. 

Solution? I advised client to allow me to deliver the unit back to the service center for detail inspection since the unit is roughly 1 year.

2. One of the P4 machine declared motherboard faulty. After replacing it with one new motherboard with similar chipset, it seems fine overall until I noticed 1 weird thing - There was no sound even I'm sure I've installed the sound driver properly. This is very rare as it is very seldom new component not working for the 1st time (in Chinese it is called "衰 SUI" if you experienced it). I tried many approaches to rectify the issue but no vail. Finally thanks to internet I managed to find the solution, the problem was cause by the Registy setting in Windows. The way to solve it was quite tricky & messy but gladly it works at the end where I managed to deliver it back to client on time.

3. I was handling a brand new Belkin N router. I'm sure I made the correct approach where I did my reading before I start operate it. So far I noticed the new model is different from the previous kind where the auto detect & configuration feature is no longer available. The new one requires you to follow the step by step setting using the CD provided. However this is also where I was stuck - The process keeps failing in the initial stage where it keeps stating it can't detect any successful network connection between the notebook & the router. I've double checked the brand new network cable & confirmed it is under good state. So what else could be wrong? 

After 1 hour plus of trial, I declared "this is it" & decided I need further testing with this unit. The result of testing was pleased as I managed to proceed to the last setting process & makes the wireless network worked as plan. Suddenly I realized something could be the cause of the issue. The notebook I was using earlier is a Windows 7 which carries mild but not less security restrictions compared with Vista.

I am glad to have chances to deal with these cases where once again I gained more knowledge & realized some new facts. I'm sure I know what to do in future if similar incidents happen again (at least I can pretend to act like pro :) ).

No comments:

Post a Comment